|Type||Leadership programme application, part-time|
Applications are accepted from the following territories (based on citizenship): Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia.
Swedish Institute Management Programme Africa
Are you an ambitious and innovative leader who wants to learn how to bridge the gap between desire and action on sustainability? Then join the Swedish Institute Management Programme 2023.
In a world facing urgent and significant human, social and environmental challenges, we know that there are many people who want to contribute to positive fundamental change. Being part of the ‘sustainability transformation’ is one way that individuals can make a real difference – for businesses, communities and for the planet. We invite ambitious and innovative leaders from Africa who want to learn how to bridge the gap between desire and action on sustainability to join us as part of the Swedish Institute Management Programme 2023, and work in collaboration with like-minded people in their region, to help tackle these challenges, and lead their businesses to success through sustainable business practices. Because the speed and scale of change that the world desperately needs cannot be achieved in isolation.
At the Swedish Institute, we have created unique development programme which brings together people from different African countries in an enhanced collaborative environment, where they can co-create solutions between business and other sector organisations in your country which have a genuine chance of success.
The Swedish Institute Management Programme (SIMP) offers you proven tools and knowledge from experts who can help you to put sustainability at the heart of your business strategy and take your leadership to the next level. The programme is based on Sweden’s prominent position in innovation and sustainable business – and its connection to the global economy.
A core outcome of the programme is for every participant to work with your organisation and implement sustainability strategically. You will formulate the actions and plan on the needs of your organisation and its stakeholders.
The programme runs online and at local conference venues between April 2023 – December 2023 including one week in Sweden SIMP includes coaching, interactive workshops and lectures, as well as meetings with representatives from companies and organisations in Sweden. SIMP is a challenging and interactive programme that requires your active participation and contribution. It is not a series of one-way lectures.
What will the programme give you?
- In-depth knowledge and skills about sustainable business practices with a focus on human rights, climate and the environment, decent working conditions and anti-corruption.
- Capacity and knowledge to lead change and implement sustainable business practices in your own organisation.
- Insights into business cases for sustainability in Sweden, one of the leading countries in sustainable business practice.
- Customised expert coaching based on your organisation’s and your own personal needs.
- A unique opportunity of close collaboration and exchange with colleagues at your own level from several other countries, developing strong, long-lasting professional networks.
- Access to the global Swedish Institute alumni network with leaders who are committed to sustainable business and responsible leadership.
SI Management Programme is arranged by the Swedish Institute, a public agency that builds interest and trust in Sweden around the world. The Swedish Institute work with Sweden promotion, cooperation in the Baltic Sea region and global development. (Link to Swedish Institute website)
Who can apply?
If you are highly motivated to run your business in a sustainable way and implement sustainable business practices in your organisation; and you also have the mandate to drive strategic changes throughout your business – then the answer is you! In addition:
- You are a citizen and resident of Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda or Zambia.
- You are between 25 and 50 years old (born 1972–1996).
- You work for an enterprise. We are looking for business leaders who are already CEO´s or senior managers of small or medium–sized enterprises, or managers of a significant and distinct department of a large enterprise, who have responsibility for the profits of their business.
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset and a track record of making things happen.
- You are willing to support and share your experience and knowledge with other participants.
- You have a high level proficiency in both written and spoken English.
- You have a post-secondary education.
- You have access to high speed internet for interactive video meetings
Does this sound like you? If so, you can Apply NOW! Or read on for more details on the programme below.
Programme structure, format and timeline
SIMP Africa 2023 takes place from April- December 2023 and is a hybrid programme with important parts online, where various digital tools and set-ups will give you a unique, varied and interactive learning experience. The digital parts of SIMP enable learning to take place over an extended period, allowing time for reflection as well as the opportunity for continuous work, both individually and together with other participants. Those that have completed required programme tasks, will be invited to a program week in Sweden in October/November.
Costs covered and arranged by Swedish Institute
- All training material, online and onsite.
- Your flights to and from Stockholm.
- Your accommodation and meals in Stockholm during the programme’s period of onsite sessions in Sweden.
- Your insurance during the programme’s period of onsite sessions in Stockholm, Sweden.
How to apply
Only applicants who have submitted a complete application will be considered for the programme.
These are the steps you need to go through to submit your application
- Register your profile in the application portal.
- Select what programme you would like to apply for (SIMP Africa becomes available on 11 January).
- Answer all the questions for the different sections in the application portal (found in the left-hand menu).
- Upload your CV under the document section.
- Upload a reccommedation letter from your manager. It is not mandatory, but an advantage (Link to template)
- After you’ve submitted your application, you’ll receive a confirmation email.
Screening of applications 15 February-20 March 2023
The applications will be evaluated according to the following selection criteria:
- The relevance and quality of personal motivation, commitment, and the applicant’s answers in the SIMP application.
- A broad assessment of the applicant’s the suitable experience and qualifications.
- The general qualifications of the applicant.
- The willingness and readiness of the applicant’s company/organisation to work for sustainable business, and its motivation to implement new learnings from the programme.
Admission announced on March 20th
The Swedish Institute will admit 30 applicants chosen from a final shortlist. In the final selection the Swedish Institute will not only look at the individual candidates but will aim to create a group with even distribution between countries, different industries, as well as individual profiles and gender.
For questions on application process, please contact Business Sweden at: firstname.lastname@example.org